Previous Page

Pickett House Museum Tour

Living History, Education, Antiques, Tour

Constructed in 1856, this is the oldest wooden home in Washington State still in on its original location. It was built for Captain Pickett, US Army and his family and at the time it had a sweeping view of the harbor. In 1889 Mr. Strother purchased the home and brought his family from Tennessee to open a Tailor Shop. Hattie Strother, the last surviving member of her family, lived in the home for 47 years. In 1936 she gave her home to the Washington State Historical Society. In 1941 they transferred it to the Daughters of Pioneers, Whatcom Chapter #5. In her will, Hattie left its contents to the chapter. The Museum receives no government funds but functions on private donations. Everyone is welcome to view the home at no charge. Donations are greatly appreciated.